Summer Public Field Trips on the
Rachel Carson Reserve
Public field trips on the Rachel Carson component of the N.C. National Estuarine Research Reserve occur on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30-10:30am during June, July and August. All programs are open and free to the public but reservations and telephone confirmation of reservation is required at least the day before the field trip as boat space is limited. Call (252) 220-0779 to make reservations or for more information.
The Reserve offers three types of field trips:
- Nature hikes occur during low tides, when the most amount of land is exposed on the island. Be prepared to get your shoes wet and muddy. We require close-toed shoes because of the abundance of oysters on the island. You may also have the opportunity to swim on the nature hike, so dress accordingly.
- Boardwalk trips occur at high tide, when the water is high enough in the estuary for our 24’ skiff to easily navigate around the island to our boardwalk located on Carrot Island.
- Circumnavigation cruise on our 24’ skiff around the Reserve allows visitors a chance to view Middle Marsh after a brief stop at the boardwalk.
On all three trips, we encourage you to bring sunglasses, hats, binoculars, water and sunscreen.
Closed-toe shoes are required for all field trips.
All field trips are free; however, we do accept donations for our nonprofit organization, Friends of the Reserve (FOR).
2013 Summer Public Field Trip Schedule:
All Trips are from 8:30 - 10:30am
June 11, Tuesday: Circumnavigation cruise
June 13, Thursday: Boat/boardwalk
June 18, Tuesday: Nature hike
June 20, Thursday: Boat/boardwalk
June 25, Tuesday: Circumnavigation cruise
June 27, Thursday: Boat/boardwalk
July 2, Tuesday: Nature hike
July 9, Tuesday: Circumnavigation cruise
July 11, Thursday: Boat/boardwalk
July 16, Tuesday: Nature hike
July 18, Thursday Nature hike
July 23, Tuesday: Circumnavigation cruise
July 25, Thursday: Boat/boardwalk
July 30, Tuesday: Nature hike
August 6, Tuesday: Boat/boardwalk
August 8, Thursday: Circumnavigation cruise
August 13, Tuesday: Nature hike
August 15, Thursday: Nature hike
August 20, Tuesday: Boat/boardwalk
August 22, Thursday: Circumnavigation cruise
August 27, Tuesday: Nature hike
August 29, Thursday: Nature hike
NOAA-NERR Administration Building - 101 Pivers Island Rd - Beaufort, NC 28516
- From HWY 70 W: proceed through Morehead City downtown (30 mile/hour zone), over the high rise bridge by the port.
- Make your 2nd right (there are two right turn lanes) onto Pivers Island Rd. If you get to the Beaufort drawbridge, you’ve gone too far. You’ll see small signs on the HWY that say NOAA and Duke Marine Lab.
- Go over a small bridge with a security gate (gate will be open).
- Once over the bridge, you’ll see a large two story white building on the left, this is where we meet for the field trip. Park in the lot directly in front of the building or in the lot to the right. There is a large NOAA circle logo on the building.
- We will meet you in front of the building starting at 8:15am.